Trailblazer Grant: Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can apply for a Lord Mayor's Convention Trailblazer Grant?
Applicants must meet the Grant eligibility criteria stated in the Grant prospectus and listed on the Grant website.
2. When is the application deadline?
Applications open on Tuesday, 7 November, 2017 and will close on Friday, 19 January, 2018.
3. What are the key dates for the judging process?
Shortlisted applicants will be notified by Friday, 2 February, 2018. An interview time will be arranged during February 2018. The successful recipients will be announced in mid-March 2018.
4. How do I submit my application?
The application process is entirely online here.
Applicants can save the online application and return to complete it later. Word limits do apply to certain sections and will be clearly stated in the online application.
5. Are all sections of the application equally weighted?
All sections are important and word limits on the application form indicate the level of detail expected in each section.
6. How many Grants are available and for what amount?
Up to five individual Grants are available, each to a maximum value of $5000 excluding GST. Only one Grant can be awarded per individual.
7. I live/work outside the Brisbane City Council boundary, but can I still apply?
Applicants must live within, or work for an organisation located within, the Brisbane Regional Tourism Organisation Boundary, which includes the local council areas of Brisbane (including Moreton Island), Logan, Moreton Bay, Redlands (including North Stradbroke Island), Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Somerset and Scenic Rim.
If you are unsure whether you reside or work in an eligible region, you can visit the Queensland Place Names Search and search for your suburb name, filtering by “Suburb”. This will identify which local government area your suburb sits within.
8. Which sectors are eligible for consideration for a Trailblazer Grant?
The Brisbane Convention Bureau encourages applicants from all industries.
9. I have previously applied for a Convention Bureau Grant. Can I re-apply?
This will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. The below information can be used as a guide.
- If you have previously applied for a Lord Mayor's Convention Trailblazer Grant, but were unsuccessful, you may be eligible to apply again. You will need to disclose details of the previously proposed conference, including whether or not you attended the conference through other means. This can be disclosed in the relevant section of the application form. If you were successful, you are not eligible to apply again.
- If you have previously applied for a similar Grant from another Convention Bureau or equivalent organisation, you must disclose this in the relevant section of your application, including whether you were successful or unsuccessful on that occasion.
10. Why are association conferences only being considered, rather than corporate conferences?
As part of the Brisbane 2022 New World City Action Plan, the Brisbane Convention Bureau is committed to consistently earning a top 50 International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA) ranking in the world. To achieve this ranking, the Bureau must increase the number of international association conferences that choose Brisbane as their host destination. Corporate conferences are not listed by the International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA) and will not be considered for the Trailblazer Grant, however the Brisbane Convention Bureau can assist in other ways with corporate conferences.
11. What happens in the case that the conference date or location is changed, or I am unable to travel?
In the event that the conference date or location is changed, or the recipient is unable to travel, the Brisbane Convention Bureau will assess the circumstances on a case-by-case basis to determine a fair and reasonable outcome.
12. Do I need to bid for this conference to be held in Brisbane?
No. The Brisbane Convention Bureau handles the bidding process. However, we ask the recipient to provide us with key information such as the local organisation or individual (if not the recipient themselves) who the Bureau should contact to secure a bidding opportunity for Brisbane in the future.
13. Do I need to spend the Grant this year?
The Grant must be used before the end of the next financial year directly following the announcement of the Grant. For example, recipients announced in March 2018 would need to use the funds between 1 April 2018 and 30 June 2019.
14. I have been unsuccessful, or do not wish to apply for a Grant, but my organisation would like to bid for a conference to come to Brisbane. What support is available to assist our bid?
The Brisbane Convention Bureau offers a personalised service whereby a dedicated advisor with local expertise is able to assist in tailoring a conference proposal to specifically meet your needs.
- To support local host organisations to bring a conference to Brisbane, the Brisbane Convention Bureau can:
- Bring a wealth of experience in preparing tailored proposals and bid presentations;
- Secure support from local government and industry;
- Assist in the development of lobbying strategies to ensure the best chance of a successful outcome;
- Secure venues and suppliers, and obtain competitive quotes;
- Provide support at site inspections; and
- Assist with Professional Conference Organiser (PCO) tender and selection process.
The Brisbane Convention Bureau is well placed to guide you through every stage of the bidding process with the best possible service. If you have a conference in mind, please contact the Convention Bureau.
Full terms and conditions of the Trailblazer Grant can be viewed here.
Still have some questions about the Lord Mayor's Convention Trailblazer Grant? Contact the Brisbane Convention Bureau.