Brisbane business leaders hailed for vision in health and tech
Updated: 21 October 2022
Innovations that can save lives, improve health, and strengthen the workforce have been honoured at the 2022 Lord Mayor’s Business Awards.
Nine companies and three businesspeople were recognised for outstanding contributions to Brisbane’s economy, across a range of fields and categories.
Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said the awards demonstrated the courage and entrepreneurial spirit of Brisbane business owners.
“Brisbane is Australia’s most small business friendly city,” Cr Schrinner said.
“These talented people invest in our city, create jobs and help enhance Brisbane’s global reputation for innovation.
“Our award winners each have a vision for the future, a passion for their cause and the courage to try and create a better world. It’s that entrepreneurial spirit that’s driving Brisbane forward and helping to grow our $181 billion economy.”
Healthcare innovation was a prominent theme among this year’s winners, reinforcing Brisbane’s status as a world-leader in medical technology.
Cr Schrinner said medical devices developed and manufactured in Brisbane can save lives around the world.
“From needle-free patches to specialist headphones for the hearing impaired, Brisbane businesses are pioneering research and innovation that can help millions of people,” Cr Schrinner said. “The global impact of some of these businesses could be enormous.”
Dr James Fielding, CEO of Audeara, was named Port of Brisbane’s Young Business Person of the Year and received the CCIQ Outstanding Small Business Award for his life-changing audio technology for people with hearing impairments.
Vaxxas, which claimed the Accenture Australia Award for Product Innovation, is on a mission to revolutionise the way vaccines are delivered with its needleless skin-patch technology that’s effective as well as easy to administer and transport.
Meanwhile, winner of the Urban Utilities Award for Environmental Sustainability in Business, Save Our Supplies has salvaged millions of dollars in medical waste by shipping usable items to countries in need.
Winners using technology to improve lives include Xero’s Outstanding Micro Business Kiddo which supports over 18,000 parents to find trusted care for their children with its smart app.
simPRO, which took out the ANZ Award for High-Growth Business as well as the Optus Enterprise Platinum Award, supports over 200,000 users around the world with its project streamlining software.
Meanwhile, Australian Spatial Analytics, which took out the Outstanding Social Enterprise category, is helping champion neurodiversity in the workplace by recruiting young people with autism in data jobs where their talents can shine.
Elena Gosse OAM, CEO of AIS Water, was named the Courier Mail’s Business Person of the Year, for growing her Brisbane innovation and manufacturing operations to export to 55 countries around the world.
Cr Schrinner said he hoped the recognition would inspire even greater growth and investment in Brisbane.
“As we prepare for a decade of city-defining change in the lead up to the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, I want local businesses to have every chance to thrive and succeed,” he said.
“Together we will create long-lasting change and opportunities that will be enjoyed for generations.”
Lord Mayor’s Business Award winners 2022
- CCIQ Award for Outstanding Small Business - Audeara Limited
- Accenture Australia Award for Product Innovation - Vaxxas Pty Ltd
- Urban Utilities Award for Environmental Sustainability in Business - Save Our Supplies Ltd
- Hutchinson Builders Award for Outstanding Social Enterprise - Australian Spatial Analytics Ltd
- Xero Award for Outstanding Micro Business - Kiddo
- HSBC Award for Excellence in International Business - Populous
- Australia Pacific LNG Award for Business Innovation - DoubleTake Sports Pty Ltd
- ANZ Award for High-Growth Business - simPRO
- ISPT Award for Investment in Brisbane - The Princess Theatre
- Port of Brisbane Award for Young Business Person of the Year - Dr James Fielding – Founder, Audeara
- The Courier-Mail Award for Business Person of the Year - Elena Gosse OAM – CEO, AIS Water
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Jonathon Stoddart – Managing Director and Chairman, Stoddart Group
- Optus Platinum Award - simPRO
If you’d like to arrange interviews with any of the above businesses or business leaders, please contact:
Sarah Orr, Corporate Communications and Media Partner
M: +61 (0)401 044 292 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org